How I realized I want to go to Cancun, despite hating the beach & Spring Break!

How I realized I want to go to Cancun, despite hating the beach & Spring Break!

As you know, I love travel.  I can pretty much find something exciting in even the most obscure destinations.  However, one thing I despise about travel is the whole beach thing.  I know that for some of you, the beach is a great thing!  For me though, I've grown up in South Florida, so the beach isn't that exciting to me.  When I think of the beach, I think of Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, drunken Spring Break kids, and dreadful sunburns.  I live only 20 minutes from the ocean and haven't made a trip to the beach in over 5 years and I don't plan to either!

Therefore, you can imagine my lack of interest in visiting the countries nearest to me in the Caribbean.  Last time I took a cruise to the Bahamas, I didn't even bother getting off the boat.  Cancun to me, has always been a major headquarters for Spring Break college kids, so despite being so relatively close to me, I never had any interest in going there....until I actually researched it.

There's much more to Cancun than chilling on the beaches.  Sure, my wife might like the idea of relaxing in a beach hut, which we probably will end up doing if we go (compromises!).  What changed my mind are the surrounding areas of Cancun.  I didn't realize that Chichen Itza is a very close to Cancun!  A UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the new seven wonders of the world!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Chichén Itza"]Chichén Itza[/caption]

Also, the nearby city of Mérida is interesting Mexican city with plenty of offerings for the historical buff.  Aside from that, there are many other interesting caves & forests to explore.  The Yucatan Peninsula is a good starting point for travel further into the region or into Belize or Guatemala.  There you have it, I will go to Cancun sometime!  The city is also one of the cheapest Caribbean destinations.

Now for the practical information.  To get there, I will likely use British Airways Avios points to fly on American Airlines.  American offers non-stop service to Cancun from Miami (not sure where you could stop en-route anyways).  The Avios calculator shows that flights will cost 4500 miles one-way, or 9000 miles round trip.  That is an excellent value!  There's plenty of availability to Cancun, especially since I'd be looking to avoid the Spring Break season anyways!

-Jason of TWiBT

No comments:

Post a Comment