How I got a $20,000 Honeymoon for free?

How I got a $20,000 Honeymoon for free?

My Honeymoon Travel Plans

[caption id="attachment_463" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Stephi and Jason"][/caption]

Normally, I don’t write too much about my personal life on here, but for this post we’ll go there.  On New Year’s Eve, 2004, I met the sweetest and most caring girl in the world.  I know everyone says that, but this girl is THE BEST!  The two of us got engaged last year.  The wedding is December 18th (yes, next week) and we leave for our three week honeymoon shortly thereafter.

 

I want to start by thanking Rick of FrugalTravelGuy.com for getting me started in this world and always being there to answer all the questions that would come up!  Thanks Rick!

 

The Honeymoon. 
Three weeks of Air France Business class flights to Rome, Barcelona, and Paris, 4 & 5 star hotels, a luxury vacation rental, and whatever activities we want.  I recently priced the flights on Delta’s site, and the flights were taking would have cost us a total of just over $18,000.  Add in a few thousand more for the hotel and apartment rentals and we’re well over $20,000 in travel expenses.
What did I pay to book all of this?  Nothing, I actually made around $70.  How?  Let’s look at it.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Rome"]Rome[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="422" caption="Barcelona"]Barcelona[/caption]

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="357" caption="Paris"]Eiffel tower[/caption]

The Flights
The Air France Business Class flights were purchased through Delta’s website for 100,000 frequent flyer miles each.  So 200,000 miles total were spent.  These were obtained last year through a promotion where you could open a checking account to obtain 125,000 frequent flyer miles.  Two accounts were more than enough to obtain the miles needed.

The Hotels
I knew I wanted 4 and 5 star hotels the whole way, but I wanted some flexibility in choosing what brand hotels.  For this, I had opened the Capital One Venture Credit Card.  They had a promotion last year where they would match the number of miles you had in a competitor’s frequent flyer account.  From what I remember, I had them match either my Delta account or my American Airlines account.  Both accounts had over 100,000 miles on them, helping me earn 100,000 Venture points.  The card, which I love, earns me double miles on everything.  After putting a large amount of spending on the card, I earned a comparable size of miles bringing my balance even higher.  I booked the hotels on Priceline’s Name Your Own price for the 4-star hotel, found a good rate on a 5-star hotel via Kayak.com, and booked the garden apartment in Paris on AirBnb.com’s website.  All of these purchases went on my Venture card and I used my points to reimburse my travel purchases.  Your Venture points can be used to pay for purchases you charge to your card if they are deemed as “Travel” category purchases.

The Activities
This is where the Citi ThankYou Premier card came in.  After signing up from this card from Citi and getting the 50,000 point bonus, I put a few thousand more in spending on the card bringing my balance up somewhat higher.  These points really can be used for ANYTHING, as they say on the commercial.  I browsed through some of the travel packages they offer and booked a few tours and tickets for some things, but left about $500 of points free to book other activities that interest us while we actually are in Europe.  I booked them all on their sites after browsing to them through FatWallet.com (a site that offers cash back for online purchases), which is where I scored the roughly $70 cash back.
Only expense left is food, which I will have to cover!  I could have taken it a step further and bought some Groupons for restaurants over there, but that crosses into over planning.  I’ll be using my Chase Sapphire Preferred card (which had a sign up bonus of 100,000 points) and pays double points on dining.

-Jason of TWiBT

12 comments:

  1. Jason,
    You are AWESOME! You booked a fantastic honeymoon & I'm sure you both will have a great time. Can't wait for you to help me with our trip to Europe next year. SA

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] made this video to help capture the memory.  After watching, be sure to read my other article “How I got a $20,000 Honeymoon for FREE!” Enjoy the [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much were the taxes and surcharges for the Air France tickets?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't remember exactly, but they were pretty negligible. I think it was around $90 per ticket. No fuel surcharges, I booked with delta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice man. I stumbled over here from FTG's feed.
    I was just about to ask about the taxes, when you said you made $70 but I saw someone else did. I was like WHAT?!
    Nice call on the Skrillex song on the video. I just saw him in NYC in January and it was INSANE!! I was in Amsterdam for NYE this year and the light show looked similar to the green lasers your video had.
    - David
    www.travelandcredit.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your wedding!! Wow, amazing deal for the honeymoon!! Can you please instruct how you got one extra stopover in one business round trip redemption? I've only traded Skymiles for economy on Air France and remembered that I can only have one stop over. Is it different for business class?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so amazing! Congratulations to you and your wife, btw! I'd like to ask you a question; I'm very new to the whole miles thing. For the 125,000 frequent flyer miles earned, what checking account did you sign up for? That's awesome! It's my dream to fly business class to Paris and that sounds pretty darn easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a promo for checking Accts at suntrust, but has since expired. Hopefully there will be more promos soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] always had a passion for having Big Travel with Small Money and recently took his wife on a $20,000 honeymoon for virtually no cost.  Of course I wanted to find out more! Stephi & Jason at [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great video! Fabulous honeymoon! Wishing you many more travel adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, glad you liked it. Got another video coming soon from our trip to Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. [...] can read about his adventure or watch a video about the journey he and his bride took.  Jason, this is a great inspiration [...]

    ReplyDelete